Stephanie Pish Post 10

When I write, I typically try to introduce the subject thoroughly, especially if it is a piece of writing, in which case I introduce the piece of writing as well as the author. I also give a brief overview of what I will be talking about in the blog post or paper, which is usually my thesis. I will also try to hit on a few key points so the reader will know why I am choosing to talk about what this topic. In my conclusions, I usually try to summarize the key points again, but usually in more detail than I did in my introduction. I also like to include a statement about why this argument is important, sort of a “so what” statement, to bring it all together.

In the introduction to “Text or Talk: Is Technology Making You Lonely?”, Margie Warrell briefly introduces the false sense of connection and friendship that people may feel from using social media to communicate. While I believe that she effectively draws the reader in in her introduction by being short and sweet, as well as bringing up a topic familiar to almost everyone, I feel as though she could go more in depth about the subject she will be talking about. She could do this by telling the reader that more people now than ever are feeling lonely due to the rise of social media and technology as the main source of communication.

In her conclusion, Warrell briefly summarizes the effects that technology has on us as a society. She also includes something of a “so what” statement, explaining how important real face-to-face interactions are to our well-being. She offers potential solutions to the increasing antisocial behavior caused by technology, and overall is effective in wrapping up her argument.