Blog Post 10 Daniela Lopez

In an introduction you try to provide the necessary information to let the reader know what your passage is about. You also try to hook the reader’s attention. In a conclusion you try to sum up what you have said and come up with a possible solution to your thesis, or even relate the thesis to something more broad or as some may call it “a so what statement.”

I chose to analyze a newspaper article found in the NY times, written by Anahad O’connor and titled “University Returns $1 Million Grant to Coca-Cola.” In this article, both the introduction and conclusion are effective. The introduction captures the reader’s attention and makes you want to keep reading. The conclusion is also effective in summing up what the article is about and gives the reader the reason why this article was written.

I am further examining the introduction of this article. The introduction contains the 5 W’s: who, what, when, where, why. Who: The University of Colorado School of Medicine; what: “it was returning a $1 million gift from Coca-Cola”; when: “announced Friday”; where: Colorado; why: “after it was revealed that the money had been used to establish an advocacy group that played down the link between soft drinks and obesity.” This article’s introduction is informative, concise and interesting. It hooked my attention, hence why I kept reading the rest of the article. I will incorporate this into my writing by being more descriptive of what it is that I am writing about, while being concise and to the point.