Instructure will release updates to our Canvas environment Saturday, February 15, 2020. We have also enabled two new features that Instructure released in January. The new features we enabled are:
- Direct Share. Teachers can share Assignments, Discussions, Pages, and Quizzes to other teachers in Canvas. Teachers can also copy these items from one course to another of their own courses. This is a simpler way to share than posting to Commons or using selective course import. Click here to read more about Direct Share.
- New Rich Content Editor (RCE). At this time, we have given teachers the option to activate the New RCE course-by-course. The New RCE has an simplified, updated look: there are new icons; there is a single row of buttons; the content selector for course files, images, and links has been replaced by buttons.
The new RCE is scheduled to replace the current RCE on June 20, 2020. We will activate it at the course level for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 courses so that teachers see the new RCE without needing to go to the feature options settings.
Click here to read more about the New RCE.
Highlights in the upcoming February release are the following.
- Teachers who have activated the New Quizzes feature option in their courses choose either new quiz or classic quiz each time they create a quiz.
- New Quizzes appear in the Quizzes list with a solid rocket icon (whereas classic quizzes have an outline rocket icon).
- The +Quiz/Test button for New Quizzes is removed from the Assignments index.
- The Commons Favorite links in Assignments, Discussions, Modules, Pages, and Quizzes areas allow teachers to import favorited content without leaving their course.
Click here to view the full Canvas release notes for February 15, 2020. The full notes contain more details about these and other changes, a link to a screencast explaining some of the changes contained in the release, a comments section, and role-specific user summaries. You can join in the discussion if you log in to the Canvas Community.
Production feature releases arrive on the third Saturday of each month. Click here to view release notes on Canvas Community. Instructure also lists noteworthy changes planned for future releases. Click here to view planned changes.