Calories or Cognitive Enhancers?

Our class kicked off the week by fulfilling one of my dreams–going to a chocolatier! The trip began with free chocolate samples, a walk through some chocolate history, and concluded with a chocolate workshop, in which we learned to “master” the art of chocolate making. (A few of us even popped into a demonstration that had started before the chocolate workshop, allowing us to see a progression of how the chocolate was made by a professional, adding to the excitement).

This trip really tied into what we had been discussing in class: how cocoa flavanoids present in chocolate may lead to increased spatial attention (Karabay, 2018). This got me thinking about how chocolate might influence other aspects of cognition. In fact, it reminded me of a study discussed in a previous NBB elective that I had taken in the Fall of 2017; Neuroscience, Evolution, Religion, and Human Condition with Dr. Darryl Neill. The study we examined detailed the “per capita yearly chocolate consumption in 22 countries” as well as data on all the “Nobel Prizes that were awarded through October 10, 2011” (Messerli, F. H., 2012). The findings indicated that while correlation is not causation, there was a surprisingly powerful correlation between chocolate intake per capita and the number of Nobel laureates in various countries” (Messerli, F. H., 2012). The more research that’s done seems to further prove the beneficial implications of factors found in chocolate on neurological health.

What drove my curiosity further is the potential to isolate the cocoa flavanols from chocolate and integrate them into other food items or supplements like coffee or tea (to enhance the beneficial effects already experienced from a cup of joe), or even to something like a regular meal. For all we know, this might lead to an increase in cognitive capabilities in those who are at a socioeconomic or intellectual disadvantage compared to others. Could this be used as a method to even out the playing field of students across campuses? What about for individuals who have been ascertained to have developmental delays or difficulty with their schoolwork due to ADHD or dyslexia? Would this actually put any additional groups of individuals at a disadvantage? All these questions come to mind when I think about how this discovery could influence the future.

The trip to Le Musée Gourmand du Chocolat has to be one of my favorites. I had been looking forward to it for weeks before we even began our study abroad trip and making chocolate might just be my backup career!

Greti crafting her chocolate masterpiece while I had just made a huge mess with mine!
Some of the chocolates we tried during the demonstration. (My favorite was from Vietnam-to die for).

References:

Karabay, A., Saija, J. D., Field, D. T., & Akyürek, E. G. (2018). The acute effects of cocoa flavanols on temporal and spatial attention. Psychopharmacology, 235(5), 1497–1511. http://doi.org/10.1007/s00213-018-4861-4

Messerli, F. H. (2012). Chocolate Consumption, Cognitive Function, and Nobel Laureates. New England Journal of Medicine, 367(16), 1562–1564. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMon1211064

One Reply to “Calories or Cognitive Enhancers?”