Karan Mehta- Personal Monologue

It was the most tense moment of my life. I was playing my final tennis tournament of the 2012 Asian Tennis season in Manila, Philippines. Being unseeded, I played the top two seeds of the tournament and beat them in the early rounds. However, those matches did not have much significance. The match, which impacted me the most, was the final. I played against a local boy, and one of the greater challenges wasn’t my opponent but it was my own mental block to win over the crowd and make my country proud. This seemed such an extra- ordinary task for a young boy like me.

With my parents looking over from the stands, I felt confident. However, my challenger over- powered me and was just two points away from winning the match in the second set. It looked like I was not going to make a come back. The moments between those points, I did not feel the pressure as a burden, but it motivated me to keep my calm and stick to my game. I didn’t do anything special. They say you swing your hardest, when your back is faced at a wall. Well, that was exactly my situation. I went on to win the match in the final set, after winning the second set very closely. This match was a turning point me for, not only terms in my tennis career, but also that it served as a experience that taught me many important things that should be carried through life. Everyone has these moments, but not everyone learns from them and roots them in their lives. It is wise to use these moments as opportunities to make a difference in your life, and in the lives of others.

24. May 2016 by Karan Rahul Mehta
Categories: Uncategorized | 1 comment

One Comment