Sara C. Medea Response

I really liked watching this version of Medea. I have seen Greek plays and scenes from Greek theater before, but I have never seen any that actually looked ancient in any way.  I have only seen versions that are modern or have been updated in some way in terms of set design, sound design, or costumes—and they have all been in very small playing spaces.  It felt very epic, and I felt the weight of the story more than I ever have before. I think that Medea benefits from having a large set because it parallels the high stakes of the events of the play. I like Medea because it is brutal and because it is a no-nonsense kind of play.  The characters make grand gestures, and every choice that each character must make is life-or-death.  I just loved the drama.

My favorite actor in the play was the woman who played Medea.  I loved how far she could take the character and I love watching human beings act like they are utterly enraged or insane. I also appreciated her costume the most because she looked so different from everyone else—hair, makeup, and dress.  Her appearance emphasized her otherness.  She was an outsider who would do anything to get revenge on her oppressors.  My favorite part in the play was when she kills her children, and the part right before when she says “people go mad when they think too much.” I just think that part is crazy! It doesn’t make much sense as a human being to kill your children to get revenge on your husband, so this choice makes for an exciting story.  Medea is an interesting female character, and a kind of female character that I feel like I don’t see a lot in plays, movies, or television.

I have a long history of disliking watching ancient Greek plays, but over time I think that I am starting to be able to appreciate them better the more that I am exposed to them. I also learned from watching this play that there are productions of Greek plays that I can be interested in and potentially really enjoy.

07. June 2016 by Sara R. Carreras
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment