Much Ado About Nothing Response

The one word that comes to mind when I think about how to describe the movie that I just watched is the word “sweet.”  The 1993 film version of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing is a very fun, pretty story that tugs at the heartstrings and is quite sentimental.  I imagine critics of the movie pointing out that it might be too melodramatic of a movie, or perhaps even a bit cheesy, but this I know: it totally worked on me.

I think I liked this film so much because it doesn’t hold back.  I can clearly see that the director’s vision is carried out to the fullest.  My guess is that the director Kenneth Branagh took an auteur approach to telling Shakespeare’s story because not only did he direct it, but he also starred in it, produced it, and adapted the screenplay himself.  I think that this approach was very beneficial to the movie because we were able to watch one singular person’s wholehearted interpretation of the story, and while it didn’t have a crazy concept like being set in an ant farm, it was still unique and fresh.

I also really liked the actors’ performances, especially Emma Thompson’s as Beatrice and Kenneth Branagh’s as Benedick.  They were by far the two most entertaining characters to watch because they were so skilled and confident at their craft.  I loved hearing their banter because they seemed so focused and bent on making the other fall, always getting at their objective.  Their comedic timing was also notable.  They were the funniest characters and a force to be reckoned with.  One of my favorite scenes was Benedick’s monologue about what he wanted in a woman and he paused for a bit right before telling us that he wants to marry rich.  I usually have trouble paying attention to long monologues, but his comedic chops made it easy.

The last thing I would like to point out is how epic the movie felt.  The score and the landscapes were very grand—the last scene itself was one of the most joyous movie moments I have ever seen—and all design elements of the film (e.g. the costumes, scenic design, and score) worked together to create a fantastical larger-than-life vibe, which was satisfying against a plot that at times seems ordinary and the title Much Ado About Nothing.

Honestly, I was so surprised that I liked this movie.  I usually avoid watching Shakespeare at all costs, but this particular version of one of his plays was really fun and entertaining, and was a nice escape from so many of the movies and TV shows that I watch so often that I feel are always trying to preach to me or teach me a lesson.  Much Ado About Nothing is just a simple story with a beginning, middle, and end, and I had a great time watching it.  I also must note that Keanu Reeve’s performance was hilarious—I am not sure whether it was intentional or not, but it kept me interested the whole way through.

16. June 2016 by Sara R. Carreras
Categories: Uncategorized | 1 comment

One Comment