Privilege with a Purpose

I have read The Crossing many times, but still – every time without fail, it hits me with chills and leaves me questioning the world in which we live. Even after learning so much about the migrant crisis in Visual Anthropology, the situation at hand still shocks me. Quite honestly I feel ignorance, naivety, and guilt. My ignorance stems from the fact that I still don’t know as much about this issue as I think I should. Even after an entire semester with Dr. Alexander herself, I still struggle to wrap my ahead around details of this story that I had either forgotten or didn’t pick up on previously. My naivety stems from my worldview. For the most part, I’m an overly optimistic, gives everyone the benefit of the doubt, entirely too trusting type of girl. I am well aware of the sheer injustice that sews its way through this world but even so, I don’t lend a critical eye as often as I should. I want to believe that everyone is well intentioned, I want to believe in the good in people, and it saddens me to think that those beliefs are merely that – beliefs. The guilt I feel stems from my inevitable place of privilege. I’ve always felt this guilt; I’ve always tried desperately to hide where I come from because the truth is – I’m incredibly privileged and incredibly blessed with a life that lends itself to ease. So I feel guilty that I have it so “easy” when others have it so hard – and that is an absolute understatement to say the least.

Incessantly I tell myself that I want to make a different, that I want to create change, but then I take a step back and ask myself, “What have I really done?” I’ve done volunteer work nearly my entire life, and there are many different organizations and causes that I’m incredibly passionate about. I guess I’ve “made a difference” in some aspects, but I’m also well aware that I could be doing more. I want to make a career out of this; I want to pursue work that gives a voice to all of the individuals in this world rendered silent. Instead of feeling guilty about my place of privilege, I’m realizing that I have to use it – use it wisely, and use it effectively. I’m realizing that I can use my “place” in this world to do something meaningful. The Crossing has always been one of those stories that hit me a little harder, dug a little deeper, and left a more lasting impression. The art of storytelling is something I wish to pursue because of its significance and the impact it can have. So many stories are silenced and so many voices are stolen, if we don’t speak up for these individuals, who will?