The Promise of Something Better

Although I had been exposed to “The Burning” clips multiple times before, when we watched it in class on Tuesday I was still overcome with fear, anger and grief. What affects me the most is the fact that the migrants fighting for their lives in Morocco are subjected to overlook at the Spanish enclave of Melilla on a daily basis while being unsure about whether they will ever make it there. They are trapped by physical borders built on ideals of separation and superiority. While reading the article Dr. Alexander wrote about Bambino “Meet a boy who survived ‘The Crossing’”  I was initially hopeful at the title but as I continued reading on, just like Bambino I realized the dreams that the migrants have about the other side of the fences may not be all they had. Migrants like Bambino are constantly left in a state of uncertainty. While in Morocco, he faced uncertainties of whether he would have survived the crossing and now on the other side he faces the uncertainty of whether he will be able to achieve asylum. Although Bambino was physically “pushed back” into Morocco, he is being “pushed back” in terms of the way he is being treated in the asylum center. There is an obvious sentiment of disregard and care for the juveniles in the detention center. What strikes me the most about the detention centers is that they treat the young adults as if they are criminals when in actuality it is not a crime and should not be a crime for someone to relocate in hopes of improving their life. While reading both articles I continuously come back to the question of why people are being punished for wanting to better themselves or to remove themselves and their families out of a dangerous or impoverished life.