Italy’s Migrant Situation

The Vice video discusses the “graveyard” that is the Medditarrean sea and Italy’s role in (not) preventing these deaths. The video also deals with detention centers in Italy and the human rights violations there. I found the Mare Nostrum program extremely surprising as I was completely unaware it, or any system like it existed. The sheer cost alone would have dissuaded me from believing that a European country would take on such a feat. The impending removal of the program was less surprising, however. The cost and manpower needed to maintain Mare Nostrum seem problematic although, there must be cheaper and more efficient ways to achieve a similar goal of saving lives. Mare Nostrum/Frontex aside, I was also highly concerned with the treatments of the migrants once they arrived on land or were rescued by Italian officials. The detention centers seem in line with others we have read about or seen in other class materials but the video maintained a greater focus on the sea graveyard that Italy has been deemed responsible for. In my opinion, the EU as a whole can and should share in the responsibilities of saving lives at sea in perhaps a joint Mare Nostrum-like program. The real responsibility of Italy seems to me to be the treatment of migrants once they land on Italian soil. While the rescued migrants could be relocated to various European countries, the ones that end up in Italy should have centers with more services and better treatment across the board. While Italian officials may want to share in the responsibility of the lives lost at sea, they cannot share in the responsibility for the lives lost and suffering on their land.