Jonny O’Brien Blog Post #8

In contrast to this, while following Turkle’s arguments, Eunice, cut off from technology after the Rupture, sends messages that cannot be received by anyone. In one message to Jenny, she says, “White people don’t really care about old people, except for David who tried to help everyone. And then they shot him like a dog” (265). Eunice changes her earlier seemingly apathetic comments about David to empathetic ones. After spending time thinking about the atrocities and having no connection to technology to distract her, Eunice is finally able to connect to David’s strive to help people and be angry with his death.”

In this primary quotation, I have integrated Shteyngart’s writing into my own. I frame the quote with a full background sentence and then directly introduce it in its own sentence. I then explain what I extrapolate from the quote. Here is one revision to introduce the quote:

In contrast to this, while following Turkle’s arguments, Eunice, cut off from technology after the Rupture, sends messages that cannot be received by anyone. Eunice has newfound agreement with the rebel cause when she writes, “White people don’t really care about old people, except for David who tried to help everyone. And then they shot him like a dog” (265).

“One secondary source Hale uses is an essay by Malchow about Frankenstein depicting race in the nineteenth century. Hale uses this analysis to expand her own by signifying that the monster is not just an explicit “Negro monster” by that of an “other” race (18). This enhances Hale’s argument and clarifies to the reader that Shelley did not choose a race for the monster, yet it can be implied that a completely new race can produce the same messages.”

In this secondary quotation, I have not properly integrated the quote, though I do explain what I took from it and how it related to the text. Here is a (hopefully) better version of introducing the quote:

One secondary source Hale uses is an essay by Malchow about Frankenstein depicting race in the nineteenth century. Hale affirms Malchow’s work as she states, “That the otherness of the monster has strong racial overtones seems like a plausible hypothesis, especially in light of Walton’s misidentification of him as “a savage” at the beginning of the narrative (9).”