Clara Kang

姜姬在

这张山水画是髡残(Kun Can)的作品。这张画有很大的山跟大雾,很高的树, 一条河像云,一个瀑布,石和草。 这画里有灰色和碧绿色,还有一点儿红色。在很长的画,逶迤的山是中心的画,可是雾分那座山和地。一座山看上去在空中漂浮,因为在后面河的雾蒙蒙的。

髡残是一个中国画家,在湖南出生的,可是在南京长大。他也是一个和尚,但是他专攻山水画。髡残精于用少量的水墨画丰富的风景山水画。他的山水画风格王蒙的影响,王蒙是清代四僧大师之一。我选这幅山水画,因为我很好奇他的和尚背景对他的山水画有什么影响。我看到他的山水画的时候,我马上感觉画家的怀念对什么,那吸引了我。

髡残的山水画有孤单和怀念,可是一点红色加人了对将来的希望和幸福, 让我想起了我的祖父。如果我是髡残,我想在河画一朵莲花。 要是我在画里,我想坐在一棵树的旁边看一条河。

Vocabulary:

瀑布 [pùbù]: waterfall

逶迤 [wēiyí]: winding

空中漂浮 [kōngzhōng piāofú]: floating in the air

蒙蒙 [méngméng]: misty

[héshàng]: monk

精于 [jīng yú]: skillful

水墨 [shuǐmò]: ink

丰富 [fēngfù]: rich in texture; richly textured

王蒙 [Wáng Méng]: name of the Monk Mater

僧大 [sēng dàshī]: Monk Master

怀念 [huáiniàn]: miss, longing

吸引 [xīyǐn]: attract

[gūdān]: alone; loneliness

莲花 [liánhuā]: lotus; lotus flower

Translation:

This is one of the landscape paintings by Kun Can: the title of the painting is Walking through a Pine Forest in Moonlight. The painting has an enormous mountain with winding roads and water covered with fog, tall trees, a river that resembles clouds, a waterfall, stones and grass. It’s generally painted with grey, but there are some red added to the painting. In this lengthy painting, the big mountain is set up as the core content of the painting, but fog separates the mountain from the ground. Because a mountain is behind the river, it seems like the mountain is floating in the air as well.

Kun Can is a Chinese painter, born in Hunan but grew up in Nanjing. He was also a Buddhist monk but he specialized in landscape painting. Kun Can is very skillful at painting richly textured sceneries with using a little amount of ink. Wang Meng, who was one of the Monk Masters in Qing Dynasty, had an influence on Kun Can’s style of painting. I chose this painting because I was curious about how his historic background as a monk would influence his painting. Looking at his painting, I immediately felt his longing for something, and that attracted me.

Kun Can’s painting has loneliness and longing, but a little bit of red emphasizes hope and happiness in the near future. This painting reminded me of my grandfather. If I were Kun Can, I would paint a beautiful lotus in the “floating” river to add more hope and color to the painting. And, if I were to be in the painting, I would be sitting by the trees facing the river, mesmerized.