1st Year MPH: Emma Butturini

1st Year MPH: Emma Butturini

For the first #IamEmoryEpi spotlight of the semester, we met up with the newest member of our EmoryEPI Social Media Team: Emma Butturini!

Tell us a little bit about your academic history:

I just graduated from Wake Forest University, in North Carolina where I majored in biology and minored in health policy and administration.

What are your primary research interests?

My main research interests are in infectious disease, outbreak response, and disease surveillance.

What are you looking forward to this spring semester?

I am really looking forward to taking more electives this semester. I am taking a GIS class and global health systems and financing class, which I think will be really interesting topics to complement what I’ll be learning in the main Epi classes.

Are there any exciting projects or experiences you are involved in right now?

At my REAL job with the Rwanda Zambia HIV Research Group, their clinic in Rwanda has been recruited to assist in the administration of a mass Ebola vaccination campaign along the border of Rwanda and the DRC, so I have been able to help prepare some materials for the campaign and I am excited to continue working on that project as it unfolds and learn more about how large scale vaccination initiatives are run.

What is your favorite part about earning your MPH at Rollins?

The professors have definitely been my favorite part about Rollins so far. In the intro classes last semester, I was so surprised how enthusiastic all of my professors were about the material, how passionate they were about getting to know their students, and how they provided guidance through their own journeys in public health.

What advice do you have for people who may be interested in getting their MPH?

Based on the advice I got from advisors in undergrad, I would remind them that while academics are important, going into your MPH it is just as important to focus on gaining practical experiences and professional/research mentorship to prepare you best for whatever opportunities you are hoping to pursue afterward. Also don’t feel pressured to decide on a specific research area from the start, take time to explore your interests and opportunities that are exciting to you!

What books are you currently reading, or what podcasts are you currently listening to?

Some of my favorite books that I have read recently are “The Hot Zone” by Richard Preston, about the origins of the Ebola virus and “We Fed an Island” by Jose Andreas, about the humanitarian response led by a group of chefs to feed hundreds of thousands of people in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

What are three fun facts that you want people to know about you?

1. I love to cook and try new restaurants in my spare time.
  2. I didn’t learn to ride a bike until I was 22 (and I am still not very good at it).
  3. In my junior year of college I did a multi-country study abroad program, and spent the semester in India, South Africa, and Brazil.

What are you most excited about being on the EmoryEPI Social Media Team?

I am really excited to have the chance to get to know and learn about more people across the Rollins community, and to be able to help connect students to meaningful resources and opportunities!

Log out of this account