Craving something new!

I have always been a fan of chocolate. Ever since I was a little kid, any box, bag, or bar of chocolate barely lasted a day in our house before my brother, and I devoured it. Who could blame us? The rich and sweet taste of chocolate was irresistible, and it never got boring. Throughout the years I had never questioned my love for chocolate. I found my love supported by the hundreds of commercials that aired on TV displaying different types of this sweet treat. This week, for my Neuroscience class we analyzed a paper on cocoa flavanols—an ingredient in chocolate. I was surprised! Could our societal love for chocolate have a biological basis?

To supplement our cocoa flavanol exploration, we also visited a chocolate museum to understand chocolate’s history. It was very interesting to see the different ways chocolate was prepared in different areas and times throughout history. In ancient South American Civilizations, cocoa beans were used as currency and were even often offered to deities. It was clear to see that cocoa beans held tremendous value to the people of these civilizations. Later, we even had the opportunity to make chocolate ourselves. It was amazing to see the chocolate making process and how it has evolved over human history.

Image 1: Divi and Jeffery making chocolate.

It appears that this evolution and interest might be biologically motivated. Many researchers have indicated that cocoa flavanols might have long-term neuroprotective effects. This means that the flavanol compound could help protect neurons, helping people that could be prone to neurodegenerative diseases. While the exact mechanism is unclear scientists, currently believe that many cocoa flavanols increase blood flow to the brain, which leads to the positive effects that help neuron growth (http://news.fm.ul.pt/Backoffice/UserFiles/File/News%2048/Chocolate_Neurobiological_impact.pdf). Researchers have even implicated chocolate in increasing memory development and increasing other cognitive capacities in aged people. Our paper tried to examine whether chocolate leads to short-term changes in brain activity as well. While they only found that our efficiency in completing cognitive tasks changes under consumption of chocolate, it is fascinating to think that a good that so many of us eat for fun could be good for us as well.

figure 1: Blood flow increases because of CF

Overall, this experience was really amazing for me because it helped me connect two things I love: food and neuroscience. It was also really fun connecting with my fellow classmates through our chocolate making, it helped give us a space to interact with one another outside the classroom. I am excited about the next excursion!