Q&A with Annual Celebration 2023 Awardees: J. David Prologo, MD

Share with your network

Dr. Prologo is an interventional radiologist whose research has focused on the application of image guided techniques to the delivery of stem cell therapies, the treatment of cancer pain, and for obesity management.

Image of J. David Prologo, MD

J. David Prologo, MD

Can you introduce yourself?

I am David Prologo – an Interventional Radiologist and Associate Professor of Radiology in the Emory School of Medicine.

What did you enjoy about winning an award?

This is an amazing honor given the incredible level of innovation and commercialization that comes out of Emory.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the technology/innovation you received the award for?

My partner and I (Yogi Patel, PhD) are developing a next generation cryoablation probe. Cryoablation is a technology which has been used for many years to destroy tumors, quiet pain signals, and many other things. We have created what is essentially cryoablation 2.0 – or an evolved cryoablation device based on shortcomings of existing devices recognized after many years of practice. The improvements are novel, solve many existing challenges for operators, and allow for expanded indications.

What does this award mean for your lab or your family?

Recognition by this group validates our work at the highest level, allowing us to accelerate our fundraising efforts and expand our network.

What does receiving this award mean to you personally?

I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio and practiced for several years in Cleveland, Ohio at University Hospitals in Cleveland. I never dreamed of being competitive at this level, let alone winning an award like this. As a result I feel very humbled, honored, and proud.

What are the next steps for this technology?

FDA approval and distribution.

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

My partner and CEO of Focused Cryo, Inc., Yogi Patel, should be recognized as a brilliant entrepreneur and scientist. His work on this technology and this company have made all of this possible.

Join us for the 17th Annual Celebration of Technology and Innovation on March 23, 2023! RSVP here: bit.ly/RSVP-OTT.