Sweeney Todd Reflection-

This screenplay is one of my favorite musicals. Sweeney Todd is a dark and twisted movie accompanied by a great soundtrack and dark humor. I thought the film brought up some interesting themes. Furthermore, the musical aspect was unique and brought a mood enhancing touch to the film. I enjoyed the characters in the movie and, thought the storyline was very well played out.

Sweeney Todd is about a world from which the possibility of justice has vanished, replaced on one hand by arbitrary power. There is hope in the end but you eventually don’t find any hope on the screen. What can be anticipated is something as dark as a grave. However, the play presents some of the finest stage music played.

The set and the atmosphere set are very dark, damp and full of cobblestone streets. The only scenes that are brightly lit are Sweeney Todd’s happy memories with him wife and child before they are taken away taken away from him. The rest of the film has a grey and washed out appearance. Alongside the perpetually dark sky and the city giving gloomy lighting, is the costumes- which are dark colored too. Sweeney wears a black, leather jacket and black vests and Mrs. Lovett wears a faded, dark brown dress and black corset.

The casting for the movie was also crucial to its success with the impressive performances of Edward Sanders and Jonny Depp playing perfect to their role.

I haven’t really watched and analyzed a musical but Sweeny Todd made me experience a unique piece of theatre. It brought out this dark musical alongside its storyline and themes that made it very outstanding.

21. June 2016 by Karan Rahul Mehta
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment