Wizard of Oz (Live Play)

Anthony Keith

Play Response: The Wizard Of Oz

The Wizard of Oz was lackluster.The familiar tale of Dorothy, Witches, the Wizard, and of course, Todo, is difficult to make spectacularly original, but I think it is a responsibility of the director to make his own, considering the notoriety of the play. Instead, it followed the narrative very conventionally and the play felt safe. The actors did not feel very alive in their roles. Although characters were expressive, as the tale necessitates, there was not enough energy emitted by the actors to enliven the characters as I expected.  

Instead, the play featured miraculous visual supplements that overshadowed the actors relevance. The lighting and visual components utilized were dazzling and a testament to technology’s value in contemporary theatre. I was most intrigued by the role that technological advancements play in contemporary theatre and most impressed at how lighting and visual supplements can create a world within a theatre. I could only afford the gallery seats, but I did not feel like my experience was sacrificed. The most impressive visual effects were projections on a screen that animated tornadoes, monkeys flying, the witch flying, and Dorothy teleporting back home. The second best visual was a rainbow installment that glowed magnificently at the end of the play. The lighting transitioned colors seamlessly and complimented moods so intensely that you could feel the emotionality radiating. The play was lacking in theatrical performance, but exceeded expectations in visual communication. I feel like the visuals compensated for the sub-par performance.

The lighting and visual components mentioned were most utilized for the setting. There were not many structures on the play stage. Instead most of the setting was projected against a screen, making the play feel more real and the environment immersive.

I could not see the costumes well from the gallery seats, but from what I could distinguish, they too were as impressive as the lighting and visuals. The costumes looked exceptionally realistic, as if the characters were really in Oz, not on a theatre stage.  I wish I could have made out the intricate details of the costuming. Nonetheless, I was disappointed that the play did not approach its adaptation with originality and I would not recommend others to see it besides for the visual spectacle it offered.  

27. June 2016 by Anthony Keith Johnson
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment