The month of May is recognized as Mental Health Awareness Month. Consider these data from the National Alliance on Mental Illness:
- 1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness each year, but less than half get treatment.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10–34 and the 10th leading cause of death overall in the U.S.
- 4% of youth in the juvenile justice system have a diagnosed mental illness.
- 41% of Veteran’s Health Administration patients have a diagnosed mental illness or substance use disorder.
Reach out to these resources to learn more:
- Read Personal Stories from those working through mental health issues
- View discussions of personal perspectives on culture and identity and the relationship with mental health and stories of Courage, Culture and Community
- Share your story
- Consult the Your Healthiest Self: Wellness Toolkits from the National Institutes of Health
- Find tips on living a mentally health life from Mental Health America
Search the Emory Library catalog, or choose from among these titles:
- Activating happiness : A jump-start guide to overcoming low motivation, depression, or just feeling stuck, Rachel Hershenberg eBook & Woodruff Library Book Stacks, BF503 .H46 2017
- Everyday self-care for educators : Tools and strategies for well-being, Carla Tantillo Philibert eBook 2020
- Take time for you : Self-care action plans for educators, Tina Boogren eBook 2018
- The language of strong Black womanhood : myths, models, messages, and a new mandate for self-care, Karla D. Scott Woodruff Library Book Stacks, E185.86 .S364 2017
- Voices from the ancestors : Xicanx and Latinx spiritual expressions and healing practices, Lara Medina Woodruff Library Book Stacks, E184.M5 V65 2019
- Together : The healing power of human connection in a sometimes lonely world, Vivek Hallegere Murthy Woodruff Library Book Stacks, BF575.L7 M88 2020 & Popular Reading
- Almost everything : Notes on hope, Anne Lamott Oxford Library Book Stacks, 170.44 L235A & Woodruff Library Popular Reading
- Wintering : The power of rest and retreat in difficult times, Katherine May Robert W. Woodruff Library Book Stacks, BJ1499.R4 M39 2020 & Science Commons Popular Reading
- Professional troublemaker : The fear-fighter manual, Luvvie Ajayi Jones Woodruff Library Book Stacks, BF575.S39 A43 2021 & Oxford College Library Book Stacks, 170.44 L235A
- Lost connections : Uncovering the real causes of depression– and the unexpected solutions, Johann Hari Woodruff Library Book Stacks, RC537 .H346 2018 & Popular Reading
- Chrysalis crisis : How life’s ordeals can lead to personal & spiritual transformation, Frank Pasciuti Woodruff Library Book Stacks, BF637 .S4 P368 2019
- Belong : Find your people, create community, & live a more connected life, Radha Agrawal Woodruff Library Book Stacks, HM1033 .A425 2018