Data Coordinator II, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Category : Alumni
Responsible for reviewing electronic and scanned medical records of patients for data abstraction and entry of data elements into databases for clinical research. Will complete validation of data entry and follow clinical research protocols. Reviews data obtained by electronic queries of hospital databases and ensures accuracy. Works closely with other clinical research staff and statisticians.
- Extracts data on study patients from electronic and paper hospital records, outpatient charts and private physician office records, as appropriate, in order to complete data collection required by specific protocols. Enters data into computerized system.
- Validates data entry and comparison of data obtained electronically and from medical record review.
- Performs initial statistical analyses on data to create large databases from multiple sources, confirm complete data capture, and calculate data abstraction accuracy among data coordinators and students.
- Coordinates data analysis plan with principal investigator and statistician.
- Keep detailed records of data analysis process and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in epidemiology or statistics preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with statistical software required, including SAS.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Experience with STATA and Epilnfo is a plus.
- Understanding of medical terminology and/or experience in medical record review.
- Experience training and supervising junior research staff.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
How to Apply
Click here to read more about this position and to apply online!