As an AbbVie intern, you will participate in a paid, ten to twelve-week summer program that is focused on providing students with robust scientific projects throughout the summer. Throughout the summer, the interns will be engaged in several development and networking activities. Due to the ongoing pandemic, the location (AbbVie Campuses are in Illinois, New Jersey, and California) and format (virtual, on-site or hybrid) of the internship will be confirmed prior to start of the internship program.
The purpose of the internship is to provide meaningful, hands -on research experience and professional development opportunities to students with proven academic performance and leadership potential. Ideal candidates will combine technical and business knowledge with analytical strength and creative problem-solving abilities.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit their website.
AbbVie’s Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) is a premier research group with wide recognition for scientific expertise and leadership. The HEOR group at AbbVie also houses leading center’s of excellence focused at real-world evidence, patient-centered outcomes and economic modeling. This group combines expertise from multiple scientific disciplines to generate cutting-edge evidence that supports AbbVie’s scientific strategies, demonstrates value of innovative treatments, and drives health care decision making by various stakeholders. HEOR driven research helps with:
- Informing strategic decisions aimed at ensuring that patients can access and benefit from appropriate therapies in a timely manner
- Developing and guiding pricing & reimbursement strategies based on evaluation of public health policy & reimbursement environment and scientific evaluation of clinical, economic, and patient-reported outcomes data
- Leveraging innovative research approaches and partnerships to maximize the use of real-world evidence (RWE) and patient-centric outcomes research for informing internal and external decisions that positively impact patient lives.
- Enhancing the patient voice by leveraging patient self-reported/digital health driven outcomes in clinical trial and real-world settings to further understand the unmet needs and establish value of innovative treatments.
Intern assignments may include, but are not limited to, literature reviews, patient-reported outcomes studies, retrospective claims or electronic medical records database analyses, prospective observational studies, and economic model development. Intern may work in one or more disease states within the areas of immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, gastroenterology, and aesthetics to support efforts for on-market or pipeline assets. Tasks may include conceptualizing research plans, protocol development, managing vendors, and writing/ presenting results. Interns may develop analysis plans and conduct analyses of internal databases and/or clinical trial data. Interns may assist in creation of scientific materials like slide decks, white papers, abstracts or manuscripts for disseminating research findings to internal/external audience. Intern will be responsible for attending team meetings, department meetings, and cross-functional team meetings to gain a better understanding of the role of HEOR within the biopharmaceutical industries and at AbbVie. HEOR Interns work in a matrix organization with global cross-functional partners which further enables understanding of generating evidence that addresses global and local affiliate needs.
Your application will be considered for all Summer internship opportunities in the HEOR department but you can express an exclusive or non-exclusive preference for one or more of the following groups within therapy areas of immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, gastroenterology, and aesthetics, or center’s of excellence including Real World Evidence, Patient Reported Outcomes, or Economic Modeling. The final assignment within a therapy area or a center of excellence will be determined by the internship committee and the hiring managers.
- Must be currently enrolled in a graduate level program (Master’s or PhD) at an accredited university, preferably in the fields of pharmacy, medicine, health services research, health economics, health policy, epidemiology, statistics, data analytics , economics and psychology and related disciplines in life sciences
- Strong academic performance, minimum cumulative GPA = 3.0/4.0
- Completed at least 1 year of graduate level studies prior to internship experience
- Must be enrolled in an accredited program for at least one additional semester following your internship
- Prior research experience in the areas of health care and data sciences
- Relevant advanced course work in areas such as pharmaceutical economics, health policy, epidemiology, psychometrics, research methods or statistics.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Adept in data analysis using statistical package (e.g. SAS) and advanced analytical approaches
- Prior experience in conducting literature reviews
How to Apply
Click here to read more about this summer internship opportunity and apply online!