RSPH Epidemiology Tutor
Category : Student Opportunities
The Epidemiology Tutor provides analytic advice and assistance during the academic year for a broad range of class assignments involving quantitative analysis, as well as theses. The Tutor works one-on-one with RSPH students on every aspect of the data analysis and interpretation process including:
· Translating a research question into a testable, quantitative hypothesis
· Recommending analytic methods to address hypotheses
· Identifying threats to validity (ie. bias) of study findings
· Description of study and analytic methods
· Constructing tables
· Descriptive statistics and multivariable analyses
· Troubleshooting statistical programming errors
· Understanding the pros and cons of various analytic techniques for a given research question
· Interpretation of results for epidemiologic purposes
· Identifying when additional, expert epidemiologic input is required
For thesis support, the Epidemiologic Tutor will provide advice to students and their thesis advisors regarding analytic plans and analysis interpretation, but the actual analysis will remain the responsibility of the student.
The Epidemiologic Tutor works with RSPH students in a pleasant, constructive and encouraging manner. The Tutor must be dependable and punctual in his/her duties and notify the appropriate staff personnel in a timely manner when conflicts or problems occur.
· Demonstrated advanced epidemiologic skills.
· SAS expertise required, experience in R preferred
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· A positive attitude towards students, faculty and staff.
· Able to work independently and take initiative.
· Committed to reflection and growth in professional practice.
Familiarity with epidemiologic analysis and statistical computing (e.g., SAS and R) in public health or related field.
Salary: $13.50 -18 per hour
Schedule: 10+ hours/week (flexible)
To apply: Submit resume and an analytic writing sample interpreting the results of an epidemiologic analysis (e.g., from a class or research project) on Handshake: https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/3044758