Category : Student Opportunities
The EpiModel Research Lab at Emory, led by Assistant Professor Samuel Jenness in the Department of Epidemiology (http://samueljenness.org/), develops innovative epidemiological methods and software tools (http://epimodel.org/) to investigate infectious disease transmission dynamics.
Our research areas are at the intersection of mathematical modeling, infectious disease epidemiology, network science, health economics, and computer science. We solve public health problems related to the drivers of transmission of infectious diseases and the optimal strategies for their prevention & control. Our current applied research focus includes both sexually transmitted diseases (HIV, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis) and respiratory infectious diseases (TB, SARS-CoV-2, influenza).
Past EpiModel RAs have used their experiences with our lab to successfully advance to the next stage of their public health careers as PhD doctoral students, CDC fellows, and data analyst staff. EpiModel RAs have also directly grown their CVs by co-authoring scientific articles with lab members that have been published in the top epidemiology and infectious disease journals.
We are currently hiring multiple Research Assistants to support both the technical work and the project management of our research portfolio.
The Scientific RA would perform these duties:
- Software code development and review, including computational optimization techniques for existing code and unit testing new code;
- Literature reviews and summaries related to the research products;
- Analysis, summarization, and writing of results.
The Project Management RA would perform these duties:
- Organization and maintenance of our online repositories for the project, including management of the Github study home and study websites
- Coordination of meetings and work across our study sites at Emory University, University of Washington, University of Minnesota, and Northwestern University
- Editing scientific products, including journal articles, software documentation, and workshop materials.
Both RA positions may be performed entirely through remote work (online).
- Click here to read more about this position and apply on Handshake!
- Applications for this position will be accepted from students who have qualified for REAL program and those who have not.
- If you have qualified for REAL, please indicate that in your application cover letter; we will ask for verification of REAL status if we proceed with an interview.
- Please submit a cover letter explaining your interests in the position and a current CV.
- In your cover letter, you should specify which RA position you are interested in, and detail all experiences or skills specifically related to job duties outlined above.