Secondary Source

Milgram, Stanley. “Behavioral Study of Obedience”. Albany: Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology 67.4 (1963): 371-378. Psychological Experiments Online. Web. 5 Nov. 2015.

I decided to use Stanley Milgram’s famous experiment on authority as my secondary source. I found this source by searching through Emory Library database. After I entered “Obedience to Authority” into the search bar a link to “Psychological Experiments Online” appeared. The link led me to a series of primary sources and letters by Stanley Milgram in the early 1960’s. In Steven Spielberg’s Catch Me If You Can portraying Frank Abagnale Jr.’s life, a recurring theme of getting away with fraud through an authoritative figure in society is present. Frank Abagnale Jr. was a check forger in the 1970’s who pretended to be authoritative figures in society: a lawyer, doctor, and an airline pilot to embezzle millions from banks. From these positions of power he manipulated and utilized women to his advantage. Milgram’s experiment shows how people react to authority and obedience. I would also use other sources regarding how gender played a role in the 1970’s.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Secondary Source

1. Lindsey Grubbs says:

Again–great source, and it looks like you’ve got a great sense of how to tie it into your own analysis of the film.

The citation is a bit off. Here’s the example I see on Purdue OWL for article in a scholarly journal (it looks like maybe yours is closer to a “book” citation):

Author(s). “Title of Article.” Title of Journal Volume.Issue (Year): pages. Medium of publication.

And then you would add the database/web bit (which you got right). Can you make the first half match up?