An exhibition celebration will be held on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2022, from 6-8 p.m., with a program, introduction of partner institutions, and reception; click here to register.
A Matisse, a microscope, a Civil War sword, a political cartoon, a plant specimen, and an anthropomorphic vessel. What brings these and other vastly different things together?
Our new exhibition, “Connections: The Power of Objects,” will showcase special collections held or displayed by Emory University and close collaborators. The show highlights libraries, museums, and other organizations that collect, preserve, or foster the use of objects to increase knowledge, spark curiosity, encourage discovery, and promote creativity.
Sixteen organizations are represented:
• Arts and Social Justice Fellows Program
• Balser Art Collection at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School
• David J. Sencer CDC Museum
• Emory Center for Digital Scholarship
• Emory Herbarium
• Emory Law Archives, Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library
• Emory’s Public Art Collection
• Historical Collections at the Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library
• Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum
• Marian K. Heilbrun Music and Media Library
• Michael C. Carlos Museum
• Oxford College Library Special Collections
• Pitts Theology Library Special Collections
• Science Gallery Atlanta
• Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library
• The Hatchery, Emory Center for Innovation
Organized by Emory Libraries, the exhibition will increase awareness of the extensive resources available for use not only by Emory students, faculty, and staff, but by others in the community far beyond the campus.
We invite you to visit the exhibition. Compare and contrast the objects presented. Which is the most unexpected, the most poignant? Talk to friends or colleagues about them. Before you leave the exhibit, create a research project, plan a visit to one of the libraries or museums, or simply capture a QR code to link back later to the exhibit and ponder further on the potential of these objects.
“Connections: The Power of Objects” will be on view October 20, 2022, through January 8, 2023, in the Corridor Gallery on Level 3 of Emory’s Woodruff Library. Parking is available in the Fishburne deck.
—Kathy Dixson, Emory Libraries exhibition manager