Category : Alumni
The Center for Health Leadership and Practice (CHLP) is seeking a Communications Specialist II to design a comprehensive communications strategy and build a robust and interactive website to share program offerings with a diverse national audience.
CHLP designs and implements programs that build the capacity of groups to work together and transform their communities into healthier environments. In early 2018, CHLP took over managing the California Opioid Safety Network (COSN) – launched in 2015 by California Health Care Foundation – to provide a statewide learning community for multi-sector coalitions, organizations and individuals working to combat the opioid crisis in California. Due to the strong success of COSN to date, CHLP is now expanding its reach to provide opioid safety tools, resources and learning opportunities on a national level.COSN is a program of the Public Health Institute (PHI), an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search. To learn more about our meaningful work visit www.phi.org.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design and oversee the COSN external website redesign and online resource library by working directly as needed with website designer/consultants.
- Provide ongoing updates and maintenance of the COSN website.
- Produce a monthly electronic newsletter and develop as needed COSN brochures in printed form for a wide external audience.
- Build and maintain email list of outside collaborators/scientists to facilitate dissemination of COSN information and build awareness of COSN website and online resource library.
- Serve as COSN communications liaison to Central PHI communications team.
- Communicate program updates and news-worthy items to PHI communications staff and media.
- Maintain COSN social media feed by posting up-to-date program updates.
- Design PowerPoint presentations, and/or modify graphics.
- Modifies photos in Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator.
- Work with Program Manager and/or project staff on people/project webpages to maintain high quality of materials posted.
- Prepare organizational and communication documents such as annual accomplishments as needed
- May review communications materials created by other staff and assist in training other staff members
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, marketing/business administration, public health, or related field.
- 5+ years of relevant communications experience preferably in a public health or substance use setting.
- Experience with website design and development.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with the ability to tailor language, presentation style and communications strategies to a variety of different audiences (including scientific, public health and lay audiences), and in a variety of different settings (such as conference presentations, research articles, media outlets, email marketing).
- Knowledge of creating and implementing basic and advanced marketing and communications strategies and plans to achieve desired goals.
- Ability to write persuasively for different and diverse audiences.
- Ability to work in successful collaboration with a wide variety of internal and external partners, and to effectively synthesize input from multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to conduct necessary background research and fact checking.
- Ability to write effective press releases and develop press and media relationships.
- Print production management skills.
- Skill and experience in PhotoShop.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Skill and experience in graphic design and layout.
- Skill and experience in photography.
- Knowledge of EMS/CRM platforms such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, etc.
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position based in Oakland, CA. While the shelter-in-place is in effect, this position will be based remotely.
- This position is eligible for PHI’s full suite of benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision coverage, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and generous time off.
How to Apply
- To apply for any position, you must create an account on PHI’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search job listings for open positions and apply.
- To apply for this specific position, click here
- This position requires that you submit resume and a cover letter. In your cover letter, please describe why you are enthusiastic about this opportunity and why you think you are a good fit for the position.