#WeAreEmoryEpi: Meet the 2023-24 Communications Team!
Category : #WeAreEmoryEPI
This week, we’re introducing this year’s communication team for the Epidemiology Department! Erica Schipper will be in charge of The Confounder, Kanak Belgaum will be running @rollinsepilife on Instagram, and I (Shamika Chavda) will be running our Twitter account, @EmoryEpi, and the #WeAreEmoryEpi posts.
Tell us about your academic history/where you went to school.
Shamika: I graduated from the University of Florida this past Spring with a Bachelor’s in Public Health and minor in Health Disparities in Society!
Erica: I graduated from William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia in 2022! I majored in Kinesiology & Health Sciences with a concentration in public health and a minor in math. I came straight to Rollins after undergrad, and am now a second year Epi student in the SDOH certificate program 🙂
Kanak: I graduated from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in 2022, where I majored in Animal Science.
What are your primary research interests?
Shamika: I’m most interested in studying emerging infectious diseases, zoonotic diseases, and disease surveillance.
Erica: My primary research interests are chronic health and developmental disabilities such as Autism. I have also worked in cancer research, and am currently working on a project in perinatal health.
Kanak: I am most interested in infectious & zoonotic diseases, with a focus on the role of data science/machine learning in those fields
What is your role on the communications team?
Shamika: I am a social media associate, and am running the Twitter page as well as the #WeAreEmoryEpi posts!
Erica: I manage the weekly Confounder newsletter and the ScholarBlog website.
Kanak: Social Media Associate (Instagram)
What are you looking forward to the most this semester?
Shamika: It’s my first semester at Emory, so I’m very excited to get involved with internships and research exploring my interests as well as build new skills in infectious disease epi and programming!
I am really looking forward to taking more electives this semester, and applying everything I learned last year to my new classes.
Kanak: Besides paving my future career path, I am most excited to meet new people and explore the city of Atlanta.
What are three fun facts you want people to know about you?
- I play the bass guitar and piano.
- I love rewatching Studio Ghibli movies, and am approaching my 10th rewatch of My Neighbor Totoro.
- I love going to concerts, and have a rubber chicken named Poblano that I bring with me to all of them to document the experience.
- My favorite hobbies are making crafts, baking, and planning elaborate events like birthday parties or weddings that will never happen
- I’ve performed the national anthem before a professional baseball game twice on an instrument I don’t really know how to play
- I’m a Gilmore Girls mega fan and really wish I could live in Stars Hollow
- I am a huge LA Clippers fan (unfortunately)
- Starting in 2021, have watched 30+ seasons of Survivor 3.
- I love traveling and visited Japan, England, and Paris this past summer!
Thanks for checking out this week’s WeAreEmoryEpi post!