Data Management and Analysis Position
Description: The Office of Blood, Organ, and Other Tissue Safety (BOOTS), Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion (DHQP), National Center for Emerging Zoonotic and Infectious Diseases (NCEZID) is seeking qualified applicants for a an ORISE position starting summer of 2019.
The successful candidate will support 2 BOOTS-related activities: 1) the National Blood Collection and Utilization Survey (NBCUS) and 2) National Healthcare Safety Network Hemovigilance Module. Specific activities are described below.
1) Participate in facility identification, outreach and enrollment for the NBCUS
2) Provide technical support to blood centers and healthcare facilities participating in the NBCUS.
1) Develop and maintain technical expertise in the function and use of the NHSN Biovigilance Component including thorough understanding of the application from a user perspective. This is a continuous activity.
2) Handle inquiries from existing and prospective NHSN Biovigilance Component users, assist facilities with NHSN enrollment, and provide user support regarding procedures for correctly applying CDC surveillance definitions and criteria and data entry. This is a continuous activity.
3) Participate in the change request and implementation process with the NHSN development team, including submitting change requests, defining business requirements with a business analyst, and testing and verification of the surveillance application prior to release. Changes to the surveillance system are released twice per year.
4) Investigating defects in the surveillance application as discovered by participating users, communicating defects to the NHSN QA team, verifying fixes, and communicating updates back to end users. This is a continuous activity.
5) Assist with data management, validation, and cleaning, including analyses to assess data quality and outreach to users for data entry correction and completion.
6) Identify and addresses opportunities to enhance usability of hemovigilance surveillance data for prevention.
7) Assist with the development of NHSN modules and mechanisms for electronic reporting to NHSN. Communicate with users and provides technical expertise to improve user interface and analytic and group user functions.
8) Assist with maintenance of the technical content of protocols, definitions, and data collection forms for the NHSN Biovigilance Component (including the hemovigilance module). Surveillance methods are reviewed at least annually
9) Attend weekly BOOTS staff meetings, bi-weekly NHSN User Support Team meetings, biweekly NHSN Development – User Support communication meetings, and weekly update meetings with technical monitor.
1) A Master’s degree and relevant experience in epidemiology and/or biostatistics.
2) Experience with SAS.
3) Experience with REDCap, Microsoft Access, and Microsoft Excel preferred.
4) Experience with data management and analysis preferred.
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter to Alexandra Savinkina at mxq1 [at] cdc [dot] gov.