Graduate Research Assistant, Hubert Department of Global Health
Dr. Bethany Caruso and Dr. Melissa Young, Assistant Professors in the Hubert Department of Global Health, are seeking a graduate research assistant (GRA) to assist with analysis of data from a multi-country study focused on feeding behavior and growth among a cohort of low birthweight infants. Varied analyses will focus specifically on understanding the influence of water, sanitation, and hygiene environments and hygienic feeding behaviors on growth outcomes.
Analyses opportunities and needs include basic descriptive statistics and comparisons, basic regression, and multiple regression. The student will play a crucial role to help complete necessarily analyses for papers and will therefore have an opportunity to serve as a co-author.
The ideal candidate is excited about analysis, and is proficient in SAS, R, and/or STATA for statistical analysis. The candidate should be willing to manage and clean data, open to learning new analysis techniques, and willing and able to independently troubleshoot to seek out solutions to analysis obstacles (finding resources online and in-person who may be able to assist as needed).
Knowledge about sanitation and/or nutrition great, but not required.
There may be opportunities for the student to use data for their thesis.
Second year students, particularly those in the Biostatistics and Epidemiology departments, or with strong quantitative experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
This opportunity may be of particular value for students pursuing the Maternal and Child Health (MCH) and/or WASH certificates.
The position is intended to start in the summer and may continue in the fall and spring as well. Position open for REAL and non-REAL eligible students.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary tasks include:
- Independently analyzing data for reports and papers
- Data cleaning and management
- Producing tables for papers
- Writing up methods and results sections of papers
How to Apply:
- For the required cover letter, please describe
- (1) Your experience with data analysis, including what statistical programs you have used in the past and are most comfortable with.
- (2) Your public health experience, including interest/experience with WASH and/or nutrition research (reminder: it is ok if you have no experience with WASH and/or nutrition research)
- (3) what you want to get out of the position (e.g. what skill sets do you want to practice or learn?).
- Please share resume and cover letter to Dr. Bethany Caruso (bcaruso [at] emory [dot] edu).