PhD Student, 6th year
kyle [dot] takeshi [dot] tanaka [at] emory [dot] edu
M.A., Philosophy with an emphasis on aesthetics, Stony Brook University, Spring 2016
- Master’s Thesis: “A Good German(?): Nietzsche, Identity, and Geopolitics.” Advisers: Professors Anne O’byrne and Edward Casey.
B.A., Philosophy, California State University: Stanislaus, Spring 2014. Graduated Summa Cum Laude with department and college honors.
- Honors Thesis: “Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Conscience as Amoral.” Advisers: Professors Hakhamanesh Zangeneh and Jason Winfree.
- Minor in Economics with an emphasis on the history of economic thought.
Phil 115 – Existentialism & European Philosophy (Spring 2021)
- Covered Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Dostoyevsky, Sartre, Beauvoir, and Fanon.
Phil 115 – Existentialism & European Philosophy (Fall 2020)
- Covered Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Dostoyevsky, Kafka, Heidegger, Godard, Sartre, Beauvoir, Camus, Ellison, Fanon, and Biko.
Phil 100 – Basic Problems in Philosophy (Fall 2018)
- Covered Heraclitus, Plato, Augustine, Hume, Marx, James, Fanon, and Butler.
Phil 110 – Logic (Summer 2018)
- Definitions, fallacies, categorical logic, propositional logic, and some history of logic vis-a-vis rhetoric and oratory (Plato, Aristotle).
Phil 202 – Renaissance and Early Modern Philosophy (Spring 2018)
- Co-Teaching with Professor Ursula Goldenbaum. Covered Da Vinci, Machiavelli, Galileo, Hobbes, Spinoza, Locke, Rousseau, and Kant.
Phil 204W – 19th and 20th Century Philosophy (Fall 2017)
- Teaching Assistant for Professor Andrew Mitchell. Covered Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche, DuBois, Heidegger, Fanon, Freire, Adorno, Irigaray, and Derrida.
Areas of Interest
- Systems of categorization, classification, & organization (esp. of libraries)
- Meta-philosophy (e.g. philosophy of the history of philosophy)
- 19th and 20th century Continental philosophy (esp. Nietzsche and Heidegger
- Hermeneutics (esp. Gadamer)
- Philosophies of Race (esp. Asian-American philosophies of race)