Despite the fact that I have family members who have disabilities and I must therefore devise a variety of strategies to communicate and successfully interact with them, I know how bad I am about considering the needs of disabled students in my classes. To cut myself some slack, part of the problem is that I do not have an ongoing relationship with a class, so I usually only meet a group of students once. If the teacher does not make me aware of any issues, then I don’t think about UDL to be honest.
However, in the past when I have created instructional videos with Camtasia, I have added subtitles. Ironically however, I did not do that in the video I created for Module 7 — mainly because I used a different software and had a difficult time finding information on how to create closed captioning. And the research guides platform that we use at the library “provides alternative pages for screen readers and hidden skip-to-navigation links for patrons using adaptive technologies.” Yay!
Of course now I’m curious about the other technologies I use and am using in this class — WordPress and Cascade (the Emory website system) specifically.
This week’s readings are a good reminder to me to be aware of these issues and to make the instructional content I create as accessible as possible. I really liked the CAST website with the link to the teacher-friendly examples and resources (lots of potential technologies out there to assist you).