UDL uncompromising directives for learners

With older age comes reflection on the way it “used to be” and I see the UDL modifications very similar to the progression of general education of my childhood where limited modifications for physical and learning disabilities were the norm to where accommodation is a common (and mandated) practice. For example, when I was in elementary school, we had scholastically distinct groups–low, medium and high (even called that), there were no accommodations for special needs children–they just failed the same grade over and over (I can think of 3 or 4 of my third grade classmates who were at least 11), and if one was physically handicapped, most of the children were out of luck in my rural district. As digital education gains momentum even more, I truly foresee that these accommodation will be standard as opposed to recommended.

I do love the connection to the neural networks with UDL. The “what” to the pattern recognition of the posterior cortex, the “how” to the motor and executive functions of the cortex and the “why” to the limbic system and how it drives course design. My goal is always to engage the “why” first in face to face or online, then “what” and finally “how.” With teaching or leadership, unless I can convince my followers to follow me, then the rest is simply unimportant.

For next steps, I will be more cognizant and will begin to put titles under my images when Blackboard asks me. I will try to develop my texts so that screen recognition may capture them better and I will be more aware of HTML use. Long way to go on that one.

It will be a work in progress so I will be looking forward to growing and learning more.