Alumni Update: Belle Stoddard Tuten (PhD, ’97) and Jim Tuten (PhD, ’03)

Belle Stoddard Tuten (PhD, 1997) recently shared an update about her life and work, along with the same of her husband, Jim Tuten (PhD, 2003). Enjoy her reflection below:

“I have been a faculty member at Juniata College in Huntingdon, PA since my graduation in 1997. Right now, I am Charles A. Dana Professor of History, which I have been since (I think) 2017. I serve as the chair of our department of history and art history. I am the only premodern scholar at my school and try to spread the ancient history and medieval history around as much as I can. My most popular class right now is Medieval Medicine, which counts for our Medical Humanities minor and attracts a lot of STEM students. Ancient Rome runs a close second! Since 2010 I have mostly worked in the history of medicine, although I published a book, Daily Life of Women in Medieval Europe, in 2022 for the Greenwood Press’s imprint on Daily Life. I am considering whether to condense my research on the breast in the Middle Ages into book form.

“Jim Tuten has been at Juniata since 1998. He held an administrative role for some years before moving into the faculty. He is Charles and Shirley Knox Professor of History and has his fingers in tons of pies, including recently publishing a guide book to a local historic railroad (written 80% by students!) and serving as the chair of the Major Fellowships committee. He continues his work in food history, recently speaking in Madeira, Portugal, at a conference on the history of Madeira wine.”

Are you an Emory History alumnus? Please send us updates on your life and work!