Graduate Students

Lauren Bertin
Psychology Graduate Student

Learn more about   Lauren

Lauren graduated from Bennington College with a B.A. in science and scientific communication. While obtaining a second bachelor’s degree in psychology at the City University of New York at Hunter College, she joined the laboratory of Dr. Joel Erblich and became particularly interested in the etiology and development of substance use disorders. She hopes to advance personalized prevention practices and treatment by leveraging behavioral genetics to unravel individual differences that persistently emerge in the study of addiction. Currently, Lauren is investigating the interplay between executive functioning, self-regulation, and problematic substance use.

Email LaurenLinkedIn PageLauren's Personal Website
Kathleen Martin
Psychology Graduate Student

Learn more about Kathleen

While I am originally from the Chicago area, I went to the University of Minnesota for my Bachelor of Science Degree. I am a third-year graduate student in the Clinical Psychology program. I am interested in genetic and environmental contributions of internalizing and externalizing disorders. I am especially interested in identifying factors that lead to increased instances of substance abuse, with the long-term goal of reducing the economic burden of addiction. I will be assisting with MAPMe data collection at the Atlanta and Oxford campuses. When I’m not in the lab, you’ll find me running or looking for dogs to pet!

Email Kathleen
Ami Ikeda
Psychology Graduate Student

Learn more about Ami

Ami is interested in understanding the genetic and environmental contributions in the development of substance use disorders. In addition, she wants to examine the neurological, biological, and behavioral changes that occur within young adults and adolescents with substance use disorders and understand the process of addiction, to better inform treatment options and interventions. Currently, she is investigating the effects of prenatal cannabis use on later substance use.

Natalia Jaume
Psychology Graduate Student

Learn more about Natalia

Natalia graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a B.S. in both psychology and neurobiology. After graduating, she started to work as a research specialist at the Addiction Research Lab at UW-Madison, where she became interested in substance use disorders and the effect of stress on substance use. She is interested in exploring the effect of various types of stress on poly-substance use, as well as the effect of stress on one’s genome. She hopes to examine how individual differences in one’s environment and upbringing affects substance use, and she is especially interested in examining these differences in marginalized populations. Outside of lab, Natalia enjoys growing her own veggies, going to art museums (pre-COVID), and reading Vonnegut novels.

Email Natalia