OERs, Open Access, Open Sesame

I had heard about OERs before this module. I learned of Creative Commons (CC) several years ago and have been using CC images and videos in my online research guides (example) — though not using the proper attribution, I’ve learned. In addition, I sit in close proximity to the Scholarly Communications Office folks here in the library and they are always talking about Open Access, CC, etc. and trying to get faculty members to add their publications to our own instance open source publications, OpenEmory. I was also part of a group of librarians who formed a kind of MOOC interest subgroup to discuss the library role in Emory’s MOOCs which so far has been pretty much consultations about copyright! But of course we discussed OERs a LOT in that group, since MOOCs are completely reliant on such materials.

Online Emory classes given for students paying tuition however, are able to make use of library resources and are not solely reliant on OERs. Don’t forget that folks!!

MERLOT has loads of OERs for information literacy. I found an InfoLit tutorial for nursing students! And even an entire one-credit information research skills course for graduate students at ACTS seminaries.

I also use the Creative Commons website and Youtube (where I limit to CC licensed stuff). There are tons of library-related videos, including on of my favorites: Using Wikipedia for Academic Research — no, really!

2 comments

1. Hi Erin,
    Nice job on your post. I’ve read your comments to your colleagues, as well and you’re right, that the OER search engines as well as the amount and range of content is still a bit limited! The concept is still quite challenging for folks to put their heads around. I think that once more people begin to use the various tools out there to create content, that more will be willing to share…with CC licenses, of course.

And yes, library resources should be utilized to the utmost extent!

Also, thanks for sharing these excellent resources, I like your research guides!

Do you think you’d be willing to create some content about info literacy that you would want to share?

Best,
    Leah

• Susan Hylen on August 10, 2014 at 7:44 pm
    • Reply

Hi Erin,

That’s an interesting example course from the ACTS schools. It seems like a lot of the library and research skills that I want students to learn would make sense as OERs. The students don’t really pay attention until they need them, and then they want something short and helpful. I think this kind of thing could be helpful for our MTS students.