Coping with COVID: Would YOU grow a Carolina Reaper?

“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain.” – Vivian Greene, author

As we continue forward, abnormal is becoming the new normal. All of us are striving, striving, striving to keep our lives and jobs from overwhelming us during this situation. It’s easy to get down or become troubled. Here are few lessons from your fellow LITSers on ways we can cope.

Planting plants

Question: Have you planted anything and, if so, what did you plant?

• Katie Sparks (library specialist) – “Mint, a poblano, and acorn squash! I have plans to put much more in the container garden on my balcony (tomatoes, more peppers, basil, beets, chard). I’m even starting a worm farm!”
  • photo of pepper

The Carolina Reaper…world’s hottest pepper.

Dwain Smith (project manager, PMO) – “YES!! Tomatoes, Strawberries, Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Peppers (Ghost, Carolina Reaper, Habanero, Havasu and Mini Sweet Bell)”

• Jessie Copeland (director of resource services, Access & Resource Services) – “I garden anyway, but I’ve got seedlings started for tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, zucchini, okra, etc. I’ve also got seeds for green beans, lima beans and cantaloupe. I’d already started some early spring crops too – collards, broccoli, cauliflower, and some lettuces.”
  • Paige Crowl (teaching and learning librarian, Oxford College Library) – “I planted a potato that was attempting to claw its way out of a bag in my pantry. I’m waiting to see what if it grows into something edible or some kind of monster.”
  • Susan Kellett (licensing coordinator, ECR) – “Four packets of wildflower seeds, so I can attract birds and insects to photograph!”
  • Anonymous – “No, I have a black thumb.”

Additional items are okra, romaine, hydrangea bushes, zinnias, parsley, rosemary, a peach tree, a blueberry bush, ferns, hostas, Korean boxwoods, and a fig tree!

Playing games

Question: What fun games (Parcheesi, Poker, Backgammon, etc.) are in play at your house?

• Sarah Quigley (head of collection processing, Rose Library) – “A friend has been hosting weekly Cards Against Humanity games via Zoom.”
  • John Nemeth (clinical informationist, WHSCL) – “We played TriBond via Zoom over three states (GA, SC, and NC) and two countries (USA & Australia)”
  • Lisa Hamlett (applications support analyst II, LTDS) – “I don’t have anyone to play normal games with, but the video game Human Fall Flat has been amusing me.”
  • Steven Benitez (AWS program manager) – “There is a fun game that I play with my social media friends called “Guess the Emoji Movie.” You put up a series of emojis that represent the tile of a movie and your friends have to guess what it is. Very Fun!”
  • Nayef Smith (manager, Network Services) – “Jack Box: Quiplash & Jack Box: Trivia Murder Party” (Steve Bransford is also playing Jack Box)

Other games being played are: Ticket to Ride, Labyrinth, Carcasonne, Sorry, Uno, Battle Royale, the Sims, Life, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Smallworld, Wits & Wagers, Mexican Train (dominoes), Carom, Monopoly, some crosswords, and many, many puzzles.

photo of cat

Meet Mushroom Jazz, as named by Clare Barton’s oldest son.

Laments Susan Kellett, “The only game I get to play is the ‘how many times do we have to open the back door for the dog today?’ game.”

New pets?

Question: Did you foster or adopt a pet since self-quarantine started? Tell us about it.

So far, only one person adopted during the outbreak. Everyone else seems quite happy with their pet situation (“our dog is living her best life right now”).

• Clare Barton (application support analyst, LTDS) – “Oh yeah. We’ve fostered two dogs, found one a permanent home and had to take the other one (who was also in heat) back after a week or so because she was terrorizing the cat. Then, we got another cat that somebody had posted on the Nextdoor app who will become a permanent member of the family.”

Dad (Nerd) Joke of the Week

A photon was checking into a hotel and they asked if he needed help with his bags. He said no thanks he is traveling light.

This entry was posted in Staff Bytes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*
*